Subscribe:

Saturday 10 December 2011

Getting Your Major In English? (And Minor In Canadian Studies??)

When I was in high school and all worried about what to take at university, my Dad would always tell me that I should take what I like at university. After being a book lover my entire life and having some life changing high school English teachers, I quickly decided that earning my B.A. with a major in English was the path for me.


"Isn't Glendon A French School?

It's true, I do sometimes get some funny looks when I tell people that I'm taking English at Glendon but Glendon's English department is as strong as any other university's that I've seen. (For those of you fearing the French aspect of Glendon, don't, and please watch my fellow eAmbassador Sarah Yu's awesome video explaining Glendon's French program.) Although a small campus, there is an impressive variety of courses offered at Glendon, which change every year, but if nothing catches your eye, you can always take some at the Keele campus.

Some Classes To Look At: 

The Literary Text: Genres & Approaches and The Literary Tradition of English - These are mandatory first and second year classes for English majors and although they are pretty general classes, they are both great transitioning classes between high school English classes and university English classes.

Reading Shakespeare - I'm currently in the middle of taking this class myself, and enjoying it, and have heard great things from people who have taken it before. This is also a great class if you are hoping to be a teacher.

Children's Literature - Honestly, one of the best classes I have taken so far at Glendon. With such a fantastic book list, Harry Potter, Winnie The Pooh, and The Wizard of Oz, just to name a few, the class is awesome for obvious reasons but also extremely interesting/eye-opening. I guarantee that you will look at children's books differently after this class.

If you have any official questions to ask, I'm sure the chair of Glendon's English department, and my Shakespeare prof, Igor Djordjevic, would be happy to answer any!


Igor Djordjevic
Office: York Hall C216
Telephone: 416-736-2100 ext. 88161
Email: idjordjevic@glendon.yorku.ca


Why my Canadian Studies minor?
My decision to earn a minor in Canadian Studies sort of just...happened! I signed up for a first year Introduction to Canadian Studies, after having been a huge fan of Canadian history (yes, Canadian history is awesome and not boring!) in high school, and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

As a first year class in general, Intro to Canadian Studies is a popular one and it definitely gets my recommendation. Another great thing about the Canadian Studies program at Glendon is that a majority of the classes are bilingual (But you can speak/submit work in the language of your choice!), allowing you to take something you love while improving your French. The Canadian Studies program is actually pretty small at Glendon but a lot of courses offered in various departments are cross-referenced with Canadian Studies

No comments:

Post a Comment